Hi! My name is Jennifer and I am the lifestyle blogger and photographer behind the name “Good Life Detroit” (@goodlifedetroit on Facebook Instagram, and Twitter).
I write blog posts about life in Detroit and in the metro area. I am also a self-taught photographer. I enjoy photographing city life and street photography, particularly in the city of Detroit.
When I first created Good Life Detroit, it was called “The Good Life”. I focused on writing about family life and my family’s big move to Metro Detroit.
Southern Girl in a Midwestern World
Prior to moving to Metro Detroit, I had never been to Detroit or the state of Michigan. My husband is from the midwest, but he, too, had never visited Detroit or Michigan. When we moved here, everything was very new to us. Also, I’m from the South, so moving to the midwest was just double the fun of new experiences. In fact, it was a bit of a culture shock for me because living in the Southern culture is a little different from Midwestern/Northern culture. I’ll have to write a blog post on that sometime. 🙂
I started exploring Detroit and the metro area to learn more about our new home. When my family and I would go out, I would also photograph our explorations. We attended many events and festivals and visited various city attractions. It wasn’t long before I fell in love with Detroit and the city life. (I have always been a lover of cities, while my husband prefers the country life.)
Good Life Detroit is Born
Soon I started documenting my new experiences on my blog and social media. I then decided to shift the focus of my blog “The Good Life” to feature more Detroit life. This change in content led to the blog’s name change– “Good Life Detroit”.
Now Good Life Detroit features blog stories about life in Detroit, city events and festivals, family-based content, city/street photography, and positive community stories.
I also like to share reviews of businesses and products my family and I try.
Tennessean Living in Detroit
I am originally from a small Army city in Middle Tennessee. The city I used to live in was not as large as the greater Detroit area. Living in a large city like Detroit is a new experience for me, but it is an experience I greatly welcome.
And in case you’re wondering, no, I don’t have a twangy, Southern accent or say “ya’ll” all of the time. In fact, I say “you guys”. I get that from my mom because she’s from Philly (although she says “yous guys”.) But I will say this, after two years of living in Michigan, I’m still trying to wrap my mind around saying “pop” instead of “soda”. 🙂
In March 2015, my husband Travis and I, along with our four children, relocated to the greater Detroit area. Travis served 8.5 years active duty in the U.S. Army. In 2015, he medically separated from the Army because of a combat-related injury he sustained while on deployment in Iraq.
Prior to leaving the service, Travis was offered a job in Metro Detroit. Once his Army contract ended, we packed up our things and moved to the Motor City! We miss our old Army life sometimes. It took us about a year to adjust to life outside of the Army. I think sometimes we’re still adjusting to the transition, but we are happy with our new life in Michigan!
10 Fun Facts About Me
- My husband and I are expecting our fifth baby in August 2017! We’re really excited about it, and yes, we love having a big family. 🙂
- I am a home educator. I have been homeschooling my children since 2013.
- My college background is in English, Communications, and Management.
- I am a self-taught photographer. I started my photography journey in Summer 2015 after purchasing my first DSLR camera.
- Street photography is a great passion of mine. I love going around the city and photographing the city life.
- I love 90s R&B, Neo Soul, and Jazz music.
- My favorite Detroit-based restaurants (so far because I’m still discovering the restaurants here) are Beans and Cornbread (Southfield), Detroit 75 Kitchen, Kuzzo’s Chicken & Waffles, and Supino’s Pizzeria.
- I played fast-pitch softball from little league to high school.
- My favorite shoe brand is Adidas.
- My parents also served active duty U.S. Army. My dad is a Retired U.S. Army Vietnam War Veteran. My mom also served active duty U.S. Army for almost 10 years.
What I Love About Detroit
- I find the city’s diverse culture and rich history very intriguing.
- I love the art scene here. It really inspires me as a creative.
- I most especially LOVE the mural art!
- Detroit pride is very catching! Detroiters are proud of their city!
- The food. Um, hello?! Detroit food is delicious!
- There’s always something to do here. From festivals, cultural events, to exploring the nature parks, we never run out of things to do. I seriously do not know how anyone can live here and say they’re bored.
- And I love…you know what? You’d be here scrolling forever if I listed all of the reasons why I love Detroit. That’s why I started this blog and photography journey. To show you all of the things I love about Detroit! 🙂
Thank you for taking the time to visit Good Life Detroit and read all about me!
You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter (@goodlifedetroit for all three accounts).
I love Instagram! (My 14-year-old daughter calls me Mamarazzi because I am always taking pictures.) I like to share my photographs on my IG and connect with other Michiganders and photographers. But you don’t have to be from Michigan or a photographer to be my IG friend. 🙂 I love connecting with everyone so if you are on IG, look me up!
Thank you for visiting Good Life Detroit!
Let’s collab! Email me if you are interested in working with me!