Community

See Pink Go Blue: Support UM Breast Care Center with a Text Message

See Pink Go Blue: Support UM Breast Care Center with a Text Message

Hi, friends! October is right around the corner. Can you believe it?! I feel like the summer just flew right by us. Now the Fall season is here and you know it’s the Fall when you see all of your friends share on Instagram their […]

Goodwill’s The Good Shop Shows WSU Students Thrifty Is In Style

Goodwill’s The Good Shop Shows WSU Students Thrifty Is In Style

My daughter Michala and I have a great love for thrift store shopping. It’s our mom-daughter thing that we enjoy doing together. Our fondness for thrift stores began when we lived in Tennessee. There was a Goodwill store about four miles from our house. We […]

Michigan Central Station Light Show Was a Nice Surprise

Michigan Central Station Light Show Was a Nice Surprise

My family and I found a nice little surprise in Detroit last night. We spotted the Michigan Central Station light show, part of the “Detroit Homecoming” event. I’m so used to seeing the old train station closed with not much activity going on in it. […]

Bar Louie’s ‘Louie Loves’ Fundraiser to Support Hurricane Harvey Relief

Bar Louie’s ‘Louie Loves’ Fundraiser to Support Hurricane Harvey Relief

Hi, Detroit! As you already know, Hurricane Harvey and Irma have caused great damage in parts of Florida and Texas. Many people and organizations are pulling together to help those who were affected by the tropical storms. If you’re looking for a way to give […]

Community Event: The Salvation Army ARC to Host Clothing Giveaway

Community Event: The Salvation Army ARC to Host Clothing Giveaway

Happy Tuesday, Detroit! Hope your week is going well so far. I have another great community story to bring a smile to your face. 🙂 I love The Salvation Army. Not just because I’m addicted to thrift shopping (I love hunting for vintage clothing!). I […]

Wins for Warriors Foundation’s Patriot Ruck #rucktohonor

Wins for Warriors Foundation’s Patriot Ruck #rucktohonor

Hi, friends. Today for Patriot Day (9/11), I would like to share some uplifting news. Patriot Day is a day we take time to honor and remember those who lost their lives in the September 11th terrorist attacks. It is also a time we honor the […]

Photographs from Marine Week Opening Ceremony

Photographs from Marine Week Opening Ceremony

Hi, friends! Marine Week is in full effect this week! I attended the opening ceremony on Wednesday, September 6th with my teen daughter Michala. It was truly inspiring to see so many people out watching the opening ceremony festivities and cheering on the Marines. As […]

Marine Week Detroit: The Marines are Here!

Marine Week Detroit: The Marines are Here!

Hi, friends! Hope you had a great Labor Day Weekend. This week is an exciting week for Detroit as the city hosts Marine Week Detroit 2017! There will be many events open to the public throughout the week. Take a look at the list of […]

Moonlight Yoga Offers a Unique Twist on Traditional Yoga

Moonlight Yoga Offers a Unique Twist on Traditional Yoga

Have you ever tried yoga outdoors? It can be a very peaceful and serene experience. Moonlight Yoga in Detroit offers outdoor yoga classes on the Detroit RiverFront. I had the pleasure of attending the Moonlight Yoga class on Wednesday, July 19th. It is a unique […]

Plum Health Direct Primary Care Focuses on Patient-Centered Care in Detroit and Beyond

Plum Health Direct Primary Care Focuses on Patient-Centered Care in Detroit and Beyond

Disclaimer: Post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy here.   Let’s talk about healthcare! I know healthcare and health insurance can be a touchy topic these days, especially with the spike in insurance premiums. Trust me, my husband and I are feeling the […]

Memorial Day: Not Just a Celebration of Summer – Honor the Fallen

Memorial Day: Not Just a Celebration of Summer – Honor the Fallen

Memorial Day Weekend in the United States is celebrated as the unofficial beginning of summer. Many people across the country plan cookouts, trips to the beach or lake, and attend summer parties. But Memorial Day means so much more than a celebration of summer. Memorial […]

Detroit’s QLINE: What We Love About It

Detroit’s QLINE: What We Love About It

Detroit’s QLINE is now in service in the city of Detroit! The new streetcar offers public transportation for commuters in Downtown Detroit, Midtown, New Center, and North End. We took a ride on the QLINE during its opening weekend and loved our experience. Check out […]

Interview with Erin Gavle – Founder of Spring Into Corktown

Interview with Erin Gavle – Founder of Spring Into Corktown

Corktown – Detroit’s oldest neighborhood is in store for an exciting event this coming weekend (May 20, 2017)! Spring Into Corktown is a new event created by Erin Gavle, owner of Eldorado General Store and founder of Spring into Corktown, which celebrates community and welcomes the […]

Community Event: GIVE Club Collecting Prom Attire for Covenant House Academy

Community Event: GIVE Club Collecting Prom Attire for Covenant House Academy

If you’re looking for a way to give back to the community, then I have a perfect volunteer event for you! The 2017 graduating class of Covenant House Academy is need of prom attire for young men and women. Join the GIVE Club™ on Saturday, May 13th from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. […]

No Ban No Wall: Emergency Hamtramck Protest

No Ban No Wall: Emergency Hamtramck Protest

Emergency Hamtramck Protest: We Stand in Solidarity with Muslims Sunday, January 29, 2017 Hamtramck, Michigan   *All photographs by Jennifer for Good Life Detroit.    

It’s Not This Time of Year Without the Detroit Turkey Trot

It’s Not This Time of Year Without the Detroit Turkey Trot

I haven’t done a photo challenge in a while, so I thought I’d participate in the Daily Post’s weekly photo challenge: “It’s Not This Time of Year Without…”. The Detroit Turkey Trot is perfect for the Daily Post’s photography challenge because it’s not the holidays […]

GIVE Club Makes a Difference in Detroit

GIVE Club Makes a Difference in Detroit

I had the amazing opportunity to meet with Keiona Turner, founder of the GIVE Club, and attend one of their community service projects. The nonprofit organization focuses on serving communities in Detroit and the metro area. They are making a great difference in Detroit! I […]

Rosie the Riveter: Meeting the Original Rosies

Rosie the Riveter: Meeting the Original Rosies

Have you heard of Rosie the Riveter? In today’s time, Rosie is a very popular costume for women. I have also seen women empowerment campaigns and groups use Rosie the Riveter as a symbol. Rosie is seen as a symbol of “girl power”, promoting great strength for […]

Detroit’s Osborn Neighborhood Unveils New Mural

Detroit’s Osborn Neighborhood Unveils New Mural

Last week, I was looking through my Instagram feed and saw a post from the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) announcing the unveiling of a new mural in Detroit’s Osborn neighborhood, located on the eastside of the city. The mural, painted by local artists Phillip Simpson and Tony […]

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons