Community

No Ban No Wall: Emergency Hamtramck Protest

No Ban No Wall: Emergency Hamtramck Protest

Emergency Hamtramck Protest: We Stand in Solidarity with Muslims Sunday, January 29, 2017 Hamtramck, Michigan   *All photographs by Jennifer for Good Life Detroit.    

GIVE Club Makes a Difference in Detroit (Part 2)

GIVE Club Makes a Difference in Detroit (Part 2)

On Tuesday, I introduced you to the GIVE Club. Today I am sharing with you the second part to my two-part story of the GIVE Club. The nonprofit organization focuses on serving communities in Detroit and the metro area. They are making a great difference […]

GIVE Club Serves Detroit on Make a Difference Day

GIVE Club Serves Detroit on Make a Difference Day

The first time I drove down Third Avenue in Detroit, I noticed there was a large group of people gathered around in a vacant lot. There were tents up and a few shopping carts. I looked to my right and saw the homeless shelter. That’s […]

Rosie the Riveter: Meeting the Original Rosies

Rosie the Riveter: Meeting the Original Rosies

Have you heard of Rosie the Riveter? In today’s time, Rosie is a very popular costume for women. I have also seen women empowerment campaigns and groups use Rosie the Riveter as a symbol. Rosie is seen as a symbol of “girl power”, promoting great strength for […]

Highlights from the Beautifully Wrapped Headwrap Expo

Highlights from the Beautifully Wrapped Headwrap Expo

If you follow me on Instagram, you know how much I love my head wraps! Since moving to Detroit, I have collected an assortment of wraps. Detroit is very popular for the head wrap fashion style because many men and women wear head wraps for […]

Ivylocs Teaches Children to See the Beauty of African American Culture

Ivylocs Teaches Children to See the Beauty of African American Culture

On August 28th, 2016, my husband and I attended Hug Day Detroit in Detroit’s Eastern Market. There were many amazingly, talented artists and various vendors selling art, jewelry, clothing, and other products at the event. We came across Danielle Carin Dunn’s table where she was […]

Detroit’s African World Festival Celebrates Culture and Heritage

Detroit’s African World Festival Celebrates Culture and Heritage

A few weeks ago, my daughter Michala (14) had expressed an interest in learning more about our African American culture. Since we homeschool, I had suggested that we add African American studies to our Fall school curriculum. Fast forward to August 17th, I’m on Facebook […]

Detroit’s Osborn Neighborhood Unveils New Mural

Detroit’s Osborn Neighborhood Unveils New Mural

Last week, I was looking through my Instagram feed and saw a post from the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) announcing the unveiling of a new mural in Detroit’s Osborn neighborhood, located on the eastside of the city. The mural, painted by local artists Phillip Simpson and Tony […]

Embracing Peace & Preserving WWII History

Embracing Peace & Preserving WWII History

On Saturday, July 9, 2016, Michala (my daughter, age 14) and I had the amazing opportunity to volunteer with the Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial and the Tribute Rosies at the Royal Oak Art Fair. I volunteered as a Tribute Rosie the Riveter, and Michala wore […]

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons