Uplifting Community Stories

Ivylocs Teaches Children to See the Beauty of African American Culture

Ivylocs Teaches Children to See the Beauty of African American Culture

On August 28th, 2016, my husband and I attended Hug Day Detroit in Detroit’s Eastern Market. There were many amazingly, talented artists and various vendors selling art, jewelry, clothing, and other products at the event. We came across Danielle Carin Dunn’s table where she was […]

Detroit Black Breastfeeding Summit Supports Moms

Detroit Black Breastfeeding Summit Supports Moms

So now that National Breastfeeding Month has come to an end, what happens now? When I attended the Black Breastfeeding Summit at the Charles H. Wright African American Museum in Detroit, I was thinking about this. I was wondering what happens after breastfeeding month ends. […]

Why We Should Celebrate Black Breastfeeding Week

Why We Should Celebrate Black Breastfeeding Week

The month of August is National Breastfeeding Month. Each year women across the United States and the world celebrate and share their journey breastfeeding their babies. Breastfeeding advocacy groups, lactation consultants, peer coaches and other breastfeeding supporters plan many events to raise awareness and support to […]

Detroit’s African World Festival Celebrates Culture and Heritage

Detroit’s African World Festival Celebrates Culture and Heritage

A few weeks ago, my daughter Michala (14) had expressed an interest in learning more about our African American culture. Since we homeschool, I had suggested that we add African American studies to our Fall school curriculum. Fast forward to August 17th, I’m on Facebook […]

Detroit’s Osborn Neighborhood Unveils New Mural

Detroit’s Osborn Neighborhood Unveils New Mural

Last week, I was looking through my Instagram feed and saw a post from the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) announcing the unveiling of a new mural in Detroit’s Osborn neighborhood, located on the eastside of the city. The mural, painted by local artists Phillip Simpson and Tony […]

Embracing Peace & Preserving WWII History

Embracing Peace & Preserving WWII History

On Saturday, July 9, 2016, Michala (my daughter, age 14) and I had the amazing opportunity to volunteer with the Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial and the Tribute Rosies at the Royal Oak Art Fair. I volunteered as a Tribute Rosie the Riveter, and Michala wore […]

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC