Today’s post is a guest post collaboration with Pereg Natural Foods and KosherMoms.com. Pereg Natural Foods and KosherMoms.com are sharing a delicious gluten-free doughnut holes recipe that I know you’re going to love!
Disclaimer: Post may contain affiliate links. See the disclosure policy here.
Get out the dreidels and polish the menorah – the Festival of Lights is just around the corner!
Beloved by Jews all around the world, Chanukah celebrates a great military triumph – some call it a miracle. It happened some 2,200 years ago in Judea (Israel), at a time when the Jews were oppressed under the reign of King Antiochus IV. The king’s army had ransacked Jerusalem, massacred Jews by the thousands, and destroyed the holy Second Temple.
But Judah Maccabee led the Jews in an epic, two-year rebellion before finally running Antiochus’s men out of Jerusalem. The first order of business: rebuild the Temple and light the sacred menorah (candelabra) every night, as required. Their prospects seemed grim; they had only a one night’s supply of oil. But those candles somehow stayed lit for eight nights straight.
Jews today recount the inspiring story of Chanukah over candles, songs, prayers, and fun for eight days and nights every year. The festival is known for customs that children and families can enjoy together: the game of dreidel, exchanging gifts, giving to charity…and of course, special foods.
The centerpiece of the Chanukah table is fried food, commemorating the miracle oil that kept the candles burning for eight nights. Two items typically on the menu are potato pancakes (latkes) and donuts (sufganiyot). It’s not a particularly diet-friendly festival, but who cares when you’re rejoicing?
This year, Pereg Natural Foods and KosherMoms.com are joining forces to present some delicious recipes for Chanukah. This gluten-free doughnut holes recipe is perfect for celebrating Chanukah or making any time of the year!
Together, Pereg – specializing in top-quality grains, spices, and gluten-free products from around the world – and KosherMoms.com – a new destination for busy moms looking for quick, healthy, family-pleasing meals – are putting a whole new “spin” on dinner for even the pickiest littlest dreidlers.
1/2 cup Pereg Teff flour
1/2 cup Pereg Coconut Flour
2 tsp. xanthum gum
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Pereg cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Canola oil for frying
1 Tbsp. Pereg cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1. Fill a heavy-bottomed 6-qt. pot halfway with canola oil. Heat to 350 degrees F. (You can test this by putting the back of a wooden spoon into the oil; if there is a steady bubbling around the spoon, your oil is ready for frying).
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, xanthum gum, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine the eggs, sugars, vanilla, and milk.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix just till combined.
4. By this point, the oil should be hot enough. If not, refrigerate the dough mixture while you wait.
5. Scoop 1-inch balls of dough and drop in the fryer. Fry 1-2 minutes on each side until no longer doughy in the center. The doughnuts will rise when ready to be taken out. Do not crowd the pot; fry only a few doughnuts at a time.
6. Combine the cinnamon-sugar topping on a plate.
7. Prepare a second plate with 2 layers of paper towels. When the doughnuts come out of the oil, place them on the paper towels for 1 minute, then immediately roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
8. Serve fresh and enjoy!
Here are a few Pereg Natural Foods Products available on Amazon!
Special thanks to Pereg Natural Foods and KosherMoms.com for sharing this delicious recipe!
Feature Image: photo courtesy Tavailai
Thank you for supporting Good Life Detroit!
When you click an affiliate link, Good Life Detroit (GLD) may make a small commission from your purchase. This will not cost you extra money. The commission made helps keep GLD up and running so we can continue to bring you quality content and features. GLD carefully chooses retailers to partner with in order to bring you products you may love. The opinions stated are 100% our own. You can read the disclosure policy here.