Mother’s Day is this Sunday and there’s still time to plan a special celebration to honor your mom or a special woman in your life. If you need a little help planning a something for Mother’s Day, then check out these ten Mother’s Day celebration ideas.
1. Go antiquing! I love going to antique and vintage stores. I like to find unique items for decorating my home. I have quite a few art pieces and furniture that I bought at antique stores in Tennessee. Travis is taking me antiquing this weekend as a Mother’s Day celebration. I told him he gets major cool points for coming up with the idea because he knows how much I love to shop at antique stores!
Here are a few antique store suggestions to get you started:
Countryside Craft Mall: 40700 Van Dyke, Sterling Heights | Phone: (586) 977-1633
The Countryside Craft Mall & Antiques is having a Mother’s Day Sale until May 13th.
Utica Antiques Market: a huge outdoor antique show from May 12 to 13 | $5 admission and free parking
Location: 11541 21 Mile Rd, Shelby Township, MI
Eastern Market Antiques: 2530 Market Street, Detroit | Phone: (313) 259-0600
Detroit Artisans: 2141 Hilton Rd., Ferndale | Phone: (248) 206-7595
2. Visit a flower and garden store. This is also on our list of things to do this weekend. I want to plant a flower garden in the front and back of our home. I’ve actually never done this before so I am really excited about it. If your mom loves flowers, then this would be a great way to celebrate Mother’s Day!
3. Take a yoga class with…cats! YogaMatt is offering a Yoga with Cats & Yoga Matt class at the Catfé Lounge in Ferndale. Bonus: the cats are also adoptable if your mom is looking for a furbaby!
Class Fee: $15 | 821 Livernois Rd., Ferndale
4. Visit a local farmers market. I am so excited farmers market season is here again! I have a thing for farmers markets and I try to go once every two weeks in the late spring and throughout the summer. If your mom loves farmers markets as much as I do, then taking her to a local market would be a make a great Mother’s Day date!
Here are a few markets you can go to this weekend:
Fraser’s Fresh Farmer’s Market: Saturday, May 12th from 9 – 1
Brighton Farmers Market: Saturday, May 12th from 9 – 1
Howell Farmers Market: Sunday, May 13th from 10 – 2
Birmingham Farmers Market: Sunday, May 13th from 9 – 2
If you can’t make it to a farmers market tomorrow, then plan a late celebration with mom on Thursday. Milford offers a farmers market on Thursdays from 4 to 7 p.m. You can get the details here if you like.
5. Laugh with Mom at a Mother’s Day comedy night. Life Bridge Chruch in Taylor is hosting a Mother’s Day Comedy Night with Mike Bliss. Get the details here!
6. Go for a bike ride in the city or at a Metropark. There are so many places you can take Mom for a nice bike ride. If she loves nature, you may want to try a Metropark like Lake St. Clair Metropark or Stony Creek. A fun ride in Downtown Detroit is another great idea. Don’t have a bike? No problem! You can rent a bike for the day with MoGo for just $8 for the whole day!
7. Get creative and take mom to a painting class. Painting with a Twist offers fun painting sessions. No experience necessary! Check out the many metro locations here.
8. Try something new with mom and take an aerial hammock class. Aerial Dragonfly in Ferndale is offering a class on Sunday, May 13th at 1:30 p.m. The class offers the fundamentals of aerial hammock such as basic mounts, poses, and sequencing. They even offer an Aerial Yoga class if you’d prefer that instead. Get all the deets here!
9. Play a game of mini golf with mom. On Sunday, Sportway of Westland is offering a free round of mini golf for Mother’s Day. Here are a few more places that offer miniature golf:
10. Spend quality time with mom at home. Michael J. Fox once said, “Family is not an important thing. It’s everything.” The best gift we can give our loved ones, especially Mom, is spending quality time with them. The busyness of life can often times take precedence in our lives. This weekend, put Mom first and spend precious time with her. 🙂
Wishing all of the moms out there a very Happy Mother’s Day! xoxo
Feature image: my mom with Michala, Zhen, and Elijah (before Zechariah and Zephaniah were born!)