Happy New Year!
Are you ready for a new beginning? I know I am excited about the New Year! A new year means new possibilities and a chance to start new. I have made a few New Year’s Resolutions for 2018 and I am already getting started on my goals.
I even got a jump start on my spring cleaning and started a few home improvement projects with my husband. We are repainting the inside of our home and redecorating. It’s going to take a few months to complete, but I am so happy we started our home projects early. It really gave me a fresh start for the New Year.
My 2018 New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Take time for self-care. As a busy mom of five, it gets very challenging for me to find a little time for myself. I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to get things done. Laundry is never-ending. Homeschooling keeps me very busy. Caring for a new baby is now part of my life. A mom’s job never ends. She is truly “on-call” 24/7.
I love being a mom; having children is truly a great blessing. I also know that it’s important for me to take care of myself so I am fully able to be there for my husband and children. This year, I plan on penciling in more “me time” so I can regroup and not lose sight of myself.
2. Don’t be afraid to say “No” if something is not in my best interest or my family’s best interest. Sometimes I have a tendency to say “yes” to others when it is not really beneficial for me to accept their request. That also goes for my professional life. I always worry about how someone will feel or what will happen if I say “no”.
I think there are times that saying “no” is a good thing and can lead to great personal growth. It’s good to be considerate of others’ feelings and their situation, but I also have to do what is best for my family and me. It is possible to say “no” in a kind way and ask for understanding. Knowing when to say “no” is something I am definitely going to work in 2018.
3. Read more books! I have always been a bookworm. I could get happily lost in the library and just read to my heart’s content. Yet, my busy mom life has prevented me from reading more books. Or perhaps I should say I haven’t taken the time to read more books.
I read plenty of children’s books with the toddlers and academic material for my teens’ homeschool studies, but last year, I didn’t read many books for myself. Reading makes me happy, and it is also a great stress reliever. This year I am setting a goal to read at least one book each month.
4. Visit my parents. My mom is my best friend, and when I lived in Tennessee, I got to see her every week. Since I’ve moved to Michigan, I haven’t been back home to visit. Instead, my mom comes to Detroit to visit us. This year, I want to make a trip to Tennessee to visit my hometown and spend some quality time with my mom.
I would also like to visit my dad in Georgia. He, too, comes to Michigan to visit us. My parents are the best for taking the time each year to visit Travis, the kids, and I. They were very considerate of my having two babies and not being able to travel right away. But this year is the year I will make a trip to visit them at their homes.
5. Play with my kids more. Of course, I spend time with my children, but I would like to really take the time to PLAY with my children. I want to take time to get silly with my little ones and laugh more.
I want to get down on the floor and play racecars with my two-year-old and make more crafts with my five-year-old. I want to watch more K-Pop videos and K-Drama shows with my teen daughter. I want to learn more about comic books from my teen son and maybe even learn how to play some of his video games. And I want to play more with my baby and be mindful of this special time I have with him while he is still a baby.
6. Keep praying daily. My faith is very important to me and it is because of God I am where I am today. I believe in the power of prayer and taking time each day to connect with God.
When I skip a day of prayer, I don’t feel right. I feel like something is missing. When I make prayer part of my daily life, it helps me to stay focused and find purpose in my daily life.
New Year’s Resolutions for Good Life Detroit
I have also set a few blogging goals for 2018 and I want to share it with you. In 2018, my goals for Good Life Detroit are to:
create quality content you can connect with and also enjoy;
feature new posts four times a week;
continue writing posts about life in Detroit and the metro area;
share and discuss various women’s topics to create an open dialogue about issues that matter most to us;
encourage and uplift moms on their motherhood journey; and
partner with brands to share the latest trends and quality products with you!
Thank you for following along in 2017. It was a great year of blogging and I enjoyed attending events, meeting incredible people, and writing for Good Life Detroit. I’m excited about 2018 and connecting with you. I wish you a joyous and successful New Year filled with love and peace!
Happy New Year!
What are your New Year’s Resolutions?