Hey, Detroit friends!
Are you going to the Tree Lighting Ceremony tonight? I hope to be there with my family. It will be our first Detroit Tree Lighting event! We’re pretty excited about it. 🙂
I wanted to mention to you guys, if you didn’t already know, Red Kettle Season for The Salvation Army of Metro Detroit started last week (11/10/17).
If you would like to volunteer your time as a Bell Ringer, you are welcome to sign up at any time! It’s a great way to give back to your community and spread holiday cheer. You can get more information about being a bell ringer and sign up here.
This is How the Red Kettle Donations Help the Community
When you donate to the Red Kettles, you are helping people in your community. The money raised during the Red Kettle season goes back into the community. This will help The Salvation Army continue various community services, such as “providing nearly 2.6 million meals and more than 663,000 nights of shelter annually.”
Other ways The Salvation Army helps the community are:
- providing outdoor and educational opportunities for at-risk youth through after-school and The Salvation Army Outdoors programs;
- empowering individuals and families to work towards self-sufficiency through Pathway of Hope;
- helping individuals trapped in a life of human trade through an anti-human trafficking initiative;
- addressing the needs of those facing substance abuse through the Harbor Light’s drug and alcohol treatment program;
- resolving legal issues affecting low-income families, individuals and U.S. veterans through The Salvation Army William Booth Legal Aid Clinic;
- assisting first responders and victims of natural and man-made disasters through The Salvation Army Eastern Michigan Division’s Emergency Disaster Services;
- teaching important life skills to children through character building programs and music/dance instruction.
“The Salvation Army depends on generous contributions to our annual Red Kettle Campaign to support critical programs, assistance and social services throughout the year,” said Major Russ Sjögren, general secretary and metro Detroit area commander for The Salvation Army.
“Dropping a donation into a red kettle or giving generously online is a powerful way to help The Salvation Army provide more than just feeding and sheltering to our neighbors in need.”
Red Kettle Events for the Holiday Season
The Salvation Army will host a variety of Red Kettle events throughout the holiday season. The events are open to the public so check out the list or visit salmich.org to find one to attend.
- The 2017 Salvation Army Red Kettle kickoff event at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 17 at Campus Martius Park featuring a performance by Grammy-nominated Motown recording artist KEM.
- Celebrity Bell Ringer Day from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Dec. 2 featuring local print, television and radio personalities spreading holiday cheer by ringing bells alongside The Salvation Army’s iconic red kettles.
- Red Wings for Red Kettles from 4 to 6 p.m. on a date in early December with Detroit Red Wings players, alumni and staff serving as bell ringers to raise money for the nonprofit’s STRIVE floor hockey program.
- Metal in the Kettle from noon to 1 p.m. in mid-December at Campus Martius Park featuring The Salvation Army’s Brass Band and a spirited bell ringing competition between Quicken Loans executives.
Here Are the Stores for Red Kettle Locations
Everyone can help The Salvation Army provide more than meals and shelter by donating their quarters, nickels, and dimes (and even gold Krugerrands!) to the hundreds of red kettles at storefronts throughout metro Detroit.
- Sam’s Club
- Big Lots
- Gordon Food Service
- Hobby Lobby
- Ace Hardware
- Emagine Theaters
- Vince & Joe’s
- The Salvation Army Thrift Stores
- Busch’s Market
- Hollywood Market
- Randazzo Fresh Market
- Spartan Stores
- Joe Randazzo’s
Other Ways to Donate
Online shoppers using www.smile.amazon.com can also donate by designating The Salvation Army Eastern Michigan as their charity of choice. The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5 percent of all eligible AmazonSmile purchases to The Salvation Army.
To make a tax-deductible contribution to The Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign:
Text SALMICH to 41444 to donate any amount via mobile phone.
Send a check or money order, made payable to The Salvation Army, to 16130 Northland Dr., Southfield, MI 48075.