A cauliflower breakfast bowl is a healthy alternative to a traditional breakfast meal. Learn how to make this healthy breakfast recipe!
by Ben Smith
For a lot of people, spicing breakfast up can often be a struggle. Between trying to find the time to make something that isn’t eye-wateringly dull but also healthy, it can be hard to find a balance that stirs up much excitement for the day’s first (and arguably most important) meal.
Like everyone, I’ve messed around with smoothies, poached eggs, even breakfast pizzas. While I do love those recipes, it’s important to also shake things up from time to time.
So put down that smoothie or plate of eggs and get on to this cauliflower breakfast bowl. It’s delicious and contains enough to tick most people’s boxes when it comes to morning meals on the go.
Plus, for the diet-conscious of you out there, these are gluten and dairy-free.
A CAULIFLOWER BREAKFAST BOWL IS EASY AND QUICK TO MAKE!
A cauliflower breakfast bowl is really easy to make, and the fact that you can prepare the core ingredients in bulk means that it’s easy to throw together quickly in the morning.
At its core, this healthy breakfast recipe contains three main parts: cauliflower, mushrooms, and bacon. All three of these combine beautifully to complete a satisfying breakfast bowl.
The cauliflower is put together to resemble something close to mashed potato (mashed potato for breakfast? I’m listening…).
While not completely the same, this makes for a great healthy alternative. And with the sautéed mushrooms matching perfectly with the salty bacon, we’re onto a winner.
Let me know what you think! Now onto your new favorite healthy breakfast recipe…
INGREDIENTS FOR CAULIFLOWER BREAKFAST BOWL
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Total Time 0:25
Yield: 3 bowls
- 6 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 ½ cups button mushrooms, halved
- 4 cups fresh arugula/rocket
- 6-8 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- coarse sea salt
Let’s make this thing!
- Heat up the almond milk and cauliflower in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool and transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender if you have one).
- Blend the cauliflower and milk mixture until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the halved mushrooms to the pan.
- Cook slowly until the mushrooms are cooked and have browned.
- Sprinkle with sea salt while the mushrooms cool away from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pay the bacon slices out evenly over the sheet.
- Put the tray in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and set the bacon slices on a paper towel to absorb the grease.
- Once cooled, chop the bacon into chunks.
Time to assemble this healthy breakfast recipe!
- Measure out the cauliflower mix evenly into each bowl (I’ve marked this as for 3 people, but if you’re hungry this will do for 2).
- Top with a fair (but generous!) share of the mushrooms, bacon, and arugula/rocket.
- Season with sea salt and olive oil.
About the author:
Ben is a former semi-pro cyclist and a big eater. Now he is just a big eater. He writes about food and drink for lazy chefs at The Online Grill.
All photographs are courtesy of Ben Smith. This post was edited on January 12, 2022.