The last art exhibition I visited in Detroit was at the end of February to see the QUEEN exhibit at the Charles H. Wright Museum. QUEEN is a personal art collection from actress CCH Pounder which features a beautiful collection of African, African American, and African Diaspora art.
Pounder is a four-time Emmy-nominated Guyanese-American actress who has a long and distinguished career in the film and television industry.
You may recognize her from the TV shows ER, The Shield (my favorite crime drama), Sons of Anarchy, and NCIS. She’s also in the Avatar film and is set to continue her role as Mo’at for Avatar 2 & 3!
I know right now The Wright is temporarily closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but I thought I would share a few photographs of my favorite art pieces from QUEEN.
Since we’re not able to physically view the beautiful artwork, perhaps viewing Pounder’s art collection on my blog post will lift your spirits. 🙂
Did you know CCH Pounder is an art advocate and is passionate about collecting artwork? She owns over 500 works of art and she shared 52 art pieces for the QUEEN art exhibition. Her art collection features a large majority of Caribbean and African artists and artists of the African Diaspora.
According to her website, Pounder is active in the Creative Coalition and her recent accolades include:
- Visionary Leadership Award in Performing Arts from the Museum of the African Diaspora (MOAD) in San Francisco,
- t201 Carney Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award from Chase Brexton Health Care in Baltimore
- 2015 Honoree at the Grand Performances Gala in Los Angeles
- 2016 SweetArts Performing Arts honoree from the Contemporary Arts Center in New Orleans
- National Urban League’s 2017 Women of Power Award
- 2018 Bob Marley Award from AFUWI (American Foundation for the University of the West Indies)
I enjoyed attending CCH Pounder’s discussion prior to viewing her art collection. I’ve always been a big fan of her work, but I had no idea she was such an avid art collector. It was nice to learn about a different side of one of my favorite actresses.
And all of the artwork featured in the QUEEN exhibition is magnificent! Once The Wright museum resumes its regular schedule, I highly recommend you stop by to visit the art exhibit. You won’t be disappointed!
MORE PHOTOS FROM QUEEN: FROM THE COLLECTION OF CCH POUNDER FEATURING AFRICAN, AFRICAN AMERICAN, & AFRICAN DIASPORA ART
Visit https://www.thewright.org/exhibitions/queen-collection-cch-pounder for updates on the Charles H. Wright Museum reopening and the QUEEN art exhibit.
SUBSCRIBE TO GOOD LIFE DETROIT
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- Voting for Our Future
- In Focus: Downtown Detroit Social Justice Signs
- Homeschool Tip: Collect Books from Unexpected Places
- Finding Joy and Normalcy During Uncertain Times
- Life Lately with a Newborn
All photographs were taken by Jennifer Hamra for Good Life Detroit with permission from the Charles H. Wright Museum.