It’s hard to believe that August is here, isn’t it? These summer months are just going by so fast. Before you know it, all of the kids will be back in school! Is your family getting ready for a new school year?
I homeschool my children so our school format and routine looks a little different from public school traditions. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t take advantage of back-to-school deals. In fact, my oldest is starting his first semester of college, so he is going to need new school supplies, too.
Whether you’re a homeschool family, a public school family, or a parent of a college student, the back-to-school sales are a great way to save money on Fall clothing and school supplies!
This post may contain affiliate links. At no cost to you, when you make a purchase, Good Life Detroit may receive a small commission. You can read our disclosure policy here.
USING DFCUPERKS APP FOR BACK-TO-SCHOOL SAVINGS
For this back-to-school season, I am using my DFCUPerks App to find deals in my local area and online.
Here are a few brands I have found with great back-to-school local deals so far:
DFCUPERKS APP LOCAL DEALS
- Lakeshore Learning Materials: When you use your DFCUPerks App, you can get 20% off any single item that is not on sale.
- Mr. Alan’s Shoes & Sportswear: With the DFCUPerks App, you can get 15% off all regular priced merchandise.
- Detroit Historical Museum: Get free adult admission with the purchase of one adult admission using your DFCUPerks App. This deal is great for homeschool field trips or supplemental learning for public school families.
- Michigan Science Center: Another great idea for an educational field trip. You can get $3 off general admission or $10 off a new membership when you use your DFCUPerks App.
And here are a few online deals I found with my DFCUPerks App:
DFCUPERKS APP ONLINE DEALS
- TOMS Shoes: Looking for comfy shoes for PTO meetings and volunteering with your kids’ school. When you use your DFCUPerks App, you can get $10 your purchase of $99 or more.
- Dell: This deal is helpful for saving money on desktops or laptops for school. With your DFCUPerks App you can save 2 to 30% off on Dell products.
- Discount School Supply: This school deal is perfect for homeschool families. Take $20 off any purchase of $150 or more through your DFCUPerks App.
- Finish Line: Save money on the latest back-to-school sneaker trends. With your DFCUPerks App, you can get $15 off orders of $150 or more.
- Hello Fresh: Get $20 off your first 4 orders with your DFCUPerks App. Perfect food service for the busy school season!
- Target: Save money on your child’s school supply list when you shop at Target.com. This DFCUPerks deal is take $5 off your order of $50 or more.
5 BACK-TO-SCHOOL TRENDS FOR 2019
I’ve also been keeping up with the back-to-school trends for the season. It’s fun to see what my kids are into, even though it’s always changing. Ha!
Here are a few back-to-school trends I’ve noticed so far.
1. Holographic Colors. I noticed this trend about a month ago and I have to say, I really like it! So far, I have seen holographic nail art and holographic sandals.
For the kids, expect to see holographic everything this back-to-school season. It’s a big hit with girls fashion style, too. From holographic windbreakers to holographic notebooks, this futuristic color style is going to be a big hit this school season!
Use your DFCUPerks App to access Target’s online deal of $5 off your purchase of $50.
2. Bluetooth Speakers. This is a trend for teens and college kids. Gone are the boombox days. Remember that? When I was a teen, I loved listening to my favorite radio station and cassette tapes! I had a long, black rectangular-shaped boombox. Nowadays, kids either use their earbuds to listen to music or Bluetooth speakers.
Bluetooth speakers are really popular with teens and college kids because they can listen to their music anywhere! My teen son Elijah likes to use a Bluetooth speaker when he’s riding his bike. College students can also listen to recorded audiobooks or lectures on their Bluetooth speaker.
Use your DFCUPerks App to get 2 to 30% off your order at Dell.com.
3. Sneakers with dresses. This fashion trend is popular for girls and women. I even love to wear sneakers with everything now! The ladies are trading in their heels and sandals for a cute pair of sneakers.
Use your DFCUPerks App to get deals on sneakers at Finish Line, JcPenney, Kohl’s, Nike, and Target.
4. Local education enrichment opportunities. More and more local businesses and organizations are offering educational support to youth in the community. Many businesses and organizations are now offering after-school events, community workshops, and homeschool programs.
For example, the Michigan Science Center, for instance, features homeschool days and workshops. The Microsoft Store in Troy offers free computer technology workshops for students. It’s a great way for students to learn a new skill such as coding and gaming.
Use your DFCUPerks app to access deals for educational enrichment opportunities at local organizations like the Michigan Science Center, Detroit Historical Museum, and Microsoft.
5. Delivery food services. When the kids are in school, life gets very busy. Working, extracurricular activities, and family life will have parents constantly on the go. More families are going to use food delivery services to cut down on time for grocery shopping and cooking dinner.
From Uber Eats to grocery delivery services, these types of food services are going to help families have more time with their children and keep the kitchen clean.
Use your DFCUPerks app to get deals on Hello Fresh and Uber Eats.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR DFCUPERKS
DFCU Financial launched two new checking accounts called DFCUPerks and DFUCPerks Plus. In order for you to have the DFCUPerks benefits, you will need to sign up for one of the DFUCPerks checking accounts.
It’s really easy to set up your checking account with DFCU. You can talk to a DFCU representative on the phone at 1-888-336-2700 or connect with DFCU in-person at your nearest branch.
DFCU members over the age of 18 can open a DFCUPerks or DFCUPerksPlus account. However, the Club, Conservator, Estate, Representative Payee, or Irrevocable Living Trust accounts are not eligible for DFCUPerks or DFCUSPerksPlus.
You can find out more about DFCUPerks and DFCUPerksPlus at www.dfcufinancial.com.
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- Happy December! A December Holiday Greeting for You
- Celebrating Holiday Savings at BJ’s Wholesale Club
- 8 Tips to Teach Your Kids Financial Success
- 12 Fun Travel Games for Your Restless Backseat Drivers
- Touring the New BJ’s Wholesale Club in Madison Heights (and 6 reasons why we love BJ’s!)