What up doe!
How did your work week go for you? It looks like the Spring weather is slowly making
If you get a chance this weekend, make sure you get outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. Go for a nature hike at a metro park, ride a bike through the city, or take spring pictures with a loved one.
Whatever you decide to do, I hope it brings you joy!
Here are a few highlights for today’s #FridayVibes:
- Detroit Tigers Opening Day is Next Week!
- IMPRESSIVE! This Couple Got Married 2 Weeks After Meeting and They’ve Now Been Married for 22 Years!
- Imperial Offers Sonoran Specials for Detroit Tigers Opening Day
- I’ve Fallen for the new album Songs of Our Native Daughters!
1. DETROIT TIGERS OPENING DAY IS ON APRIL 4TH!
Wow! That happened rather fast, didn’t it? Spring is here and that means it’s time for the baseball season to begin.
The Detroit Tigers Opening Day is next week…as in next Thursday, April 4th! They will play against the Kansas City Royals at 1:10 P.M. at Comerica Park. There will also be many festivities and parties happening in Detroit for Opening Day.
Here’s an ultimate guide from Visit Detroit on Opening Day 2019.
2. TRUE LOVE: THIS MARRIED COUPLE OF 22 YEARS TIED THE KNOT AFTER ONLY 2 WEEKS OF MEETING
I read this article on Manrepeller, the women’s lifestyle site, and it’s about Jyll Hubbard-Salk and Danny Salk’s love story. According to the article, the couple got hitched after only 2 weeks of knowing each other. The couple have now been married for 22 years. Impressive!
Writer Emma Bracy interviews Mr. and Mrs. Salk about how they met, what the wedding was like, and the challenges they had to overcome as a couple. It’s a really lovely read.
Made me think of my own marriage to Travis and how we decided to get married within the month of making the decision. We had already been friends for 2 years, but it was still a pretty hasty decision to get married so quickly! (We’ve been married for almost 8 years now.)
3. IMPERIAL OFFERS SONORAN SPECIALS FOR DETROIT TIGERS OPENING DAY
Imperial (22828 Woodward Ave), the Mexican-inspired restaurant and tequila bar from Working Class Outlaws group, celebrates the Detroit Tigers home opener with a Sonoran hot dog and beer special offered all day long.
You’ll be able to cheer on the Tigers as they take on the Kansas City Royals while enjoying one of the Ferndale bar’s signature Sonorans and 24-oz. Pacifico beer for $9.
You get a choice of the Imperial Sonoran (beans, tomato, onion, queso, salsa, guacamole), Chino Sonoran (chorizo chili, chipotle mustard, white onion, cilantro), Bakersfield Sonoran (BBQ chicken, pineapple, jalapeno onion relish, chipotle aioli, cheese, cilantro) or the Vegetarian Sonoran (guacamole, beans, jalapeno onion relish, corn,
- Imperial Sonoran (beans, tomato, onion, queso, salsa, guacamole)
- Chino Sonoran (chorizo chili, chipotle mustard, white onion, cilantro)
- Bakersfield Sonoran (BBQ chicken, pineapple, jalapeno onion relish, chipotle aioli, cheese, cilantro)
- Vegetarian Sonoran (guacamole, beans, jalapeno onion relish, corn, crema, cheese)
All Sonorans (except the Vegetarian) feature a bacon-wrapped hot dog, but the Chino Sonoran can be made vegan with a veggie dog and vegan chorizo. Imperial is open on Thursday, April 4 from 11 a.m. – 2 a.m. (kitchen closes at 12 a.m.)
4. SONGS OF OUR NATIVE DAUGHTERS IS JUST BEAUTIFUL!
The other day I was listening to my Spotify and I wanted to find some new music to listen to. I stumbled upon Songs of Our Native Daughters and was completely blown away! It’s such a beautiful album about the stories of African American women. I’ve never heard anything like it before!
The collaboration is between singers Rhiannon Giddens, Amythst Kiah, Lelya McCalla, and Allison Russel (part of the duo Birds of Chicago). The album features stories inspired by slave narratives and 17th through 19th century sources.
I can’t say this enough: it’s brilliant work! I hope you take time to listen to Songs of Our Native Daughters. I think you will love it just as much as I do.
HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND! JENNIFER XOXO
Feature image credit Jennifer Hamra for Good Life Detroit; Location: Downtown Mt. Clemens, MI