Hi, friends! Mother’s Day is in just a few days and I am discovering so many wonderful ways to spend the special day.
From taking mom on to see her favorite live show to buying her special gift, there are so many wonderful things you can to do to celebrate mom or your special motherly-figure in your life.
A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question on my Instagram to find out what are YOUR Mother’s Day activity ideas. So many of you answered and sent in wonderful suggestions.
Here’s a fun list of 10 ideas for Mother’s Day featuring a few activities from my Instagram friends!
1. Brunch, brunch, BRUNCH! I received quite a few brunch responses on Instagram. I have to admit, this is my top choice for celebrating Mother’s Day. I, too, would love to go to brunch this weekend!
And if you live in Detroit or the metro area, there are so many wonderful places to have brunch. My favorites so far are La Dolce Vita and Cafe Muse!
2. Mother’s Day Jazz Brunch. Sticking with our brunch flow, I just have to mention Fort Street Gallery’s Mother’s Day Jazz Brunch. This brunch event is perfect for the mom who loves jazz music (like myself)!
The Sarah D’Angelo Trio will perform from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Mother’s Day. You can also make reservations for groups of 10 or more! The fun starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m. Contact Fort Street Gallery at email@example.com for more information!
3. Sunday Worship or Special Church Event. From one Instagram friend, she said she loves celebrating Mother’s Day at church. It’s a great way to give thanks for the journey of motherhood and make spiritual connections.
Also, many churches are offering special Mother’s Day activities like the St. Stephen AME Detroit. The church is hosting a free “Pamper Me Day” for moms on Saturday, May 11th! The United Church of Christ is also hosting a Mother’s Day Brunch on Sunday, May 12th. You can check out Facebook events to discover church-hosted Mother’s Day events.
4. Greenfield Village. Another one of my Instagram buddies suggested a trip to Greenfield Village at The Henry Ford in Dearborn, Michigan.
The weekend of May 11th there will be many fun events at Greenfield Village. Mom may love a one-hour tour at the Henry Ford Museum or learning about Historic Cooking from diverse regions, people, and times. You can check out Greenfield Village’s events calendar here.
5. Mother’s Day Blacklight Blackout Bingo. Playing a fun game of bingo is another fun activity Mom may enjoy. The Deluxx Fluxx and Party Store Productions are hosting a Blacklight Blackout Bingo night for Mother’s Day on Sunday, May 12th.
The party starts at 7 p.m. and lasts until 1 a.m. There will be prizes and the event is FREE for guests 21 and up!
6. Mother’s Day Poetry Night. If your mom loves poetry, then she may love a poetry night. The Erotic Poetry Night (EPN) is hosting a Mother’s Day poetry event on Sunday evening at 7 p.m.
Some of Detroit’s best poets will perform pieces dedicated to all of the mothers. Tickets are limited so contact EPN if you’re interested in attending!
View this post on Instagram
Day two of mom Congress! I’m trying to process all of it, but I’m super glad I took notes. I can’t wait to go talk with @repdingell and other Michigan representatives to get bills on the table that support women and families! I am super excited to get back to Michigan and work to organize, who wants to join?
7. Nature Hike. My friend Cat Hadley shared one of her family’s Mother’s Day traditions on my IG Stories. The Birth Safe founder and women’s writer said her family likes to go on a nature hike and clean up any litter found on their walk.
I love this idea because not only does it get the whole family outdoors, but it’s also a great way to take care of “Mother Earth”! You could bring a wagon to carry your gear and any bags of litter you need to dispose of at the park’s trash can.
P.S.– Follow Cat’s Birth Safe organization here to learn more about how she’s helping women share their pregnancy and postpartum stories!
8. Honor Other Mothers. I loved this idea from one of my Instagram friends. She suggested on one of my IG posts to go to a local florist and asking if the florist can donate flowers they were going to toss. You could then turn the flowers into pretty bouquets and bring them to women in your neighborhood or at a nursing home.
“Making it a project with your little people will show how fun it is to lift the spirits of strangers,” she writes. Isn’t that a wonderful idea?!
View this post on Instagram
Spring blooms are bursting over here!And Mother's Day is this Sunday!💗 Treat Mom to a weekly/bi-weekly BFF Bouquet Subscription🧚🏻♀️💐 Sign up this week and grab a free bunch of tulips to go with it⚘ OR grab Mom a $5/$10 bouquet from @backitchen. #brightmoorflowerfarm #tulips #mothersday #locallygrownflowers
9. Flower Farm Bouquet Subscriptions. On the same Instagram post, Brightmoor Flower Farm owner Lisa Rivera suggested buying Mom a flower farm bouquet subscription. The 7-week subscription begins in early June and ends in mid-October.
Mom will receive a beautiful assortment of flowers every two weeks straight from the Brightmoor Flower Farm! Delivery and pick-up options are available. You can click here to place your flower order if you like.
10. Spend Some Time with Mom. Early today I did a TV segment on WXYZ Detroit to share a few Mother’s Day gift ideas. Before I left, I asked WXYZ news anchor Keenan Smith what he thinks is a good Mother’s Day gift. Keenan said time is the best gift you can give Mom.
“Spend time with your mother,” Keenan explained in my Instagram video post. “Yeah, you can give her a gift, but you know what she probably wants– especially if you’re an adult you’re busy you’re moving around– she just wants some time with you. So set aside a big chunk of time and just be there.”
Do you have any fun Mother’s Day activity ideas?
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- What Makes You a Storyteller?
- How Two Detroit Entrepreneurs are Encouraging Positive Workplace Culture for Women
- High Tea: Cannabis Tea Party Teaches Women the Health Benefits of Medical Cannabis
- Femology– Detroit’s First Female-Focused Co-working Space to Open Downtown Headquarters This Fall
- The TEN Nail Bar Grand Opening Celebration
Feature image taken at Campus Martius in Downtown Detroit.