LONG FESTIVALS ARE MY FAVORITE for so many reasons:
- …if you can’t make it to the entire festival, then you pick a day that you’re able to go and still get to experience some of it
- …if you are able to make it to the entire festival, you get a very enriching experience (it almost feels like going away on a weekend trip)
- …when you have kids who are sensitive to large crowds, you can pick a festival day/time that won’t be that busy
- …heck! When you’re an adult who is sensitive to large crowds, you can pick a festival day/time that won’t be too busy! (Hello, social anxiety! I can relate!)
DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, when you make a purchase we may make a small commission. You can read our disclosure policy here if you like. Thank you for supporting Good Life Detroit!
ANOTHER BIG REASON WHY I LOVE LONG FESTIVALS…
…if I miss a day of the festival, I can still catch it on a different day.
This happens quite often with our big bunch! Travis and I will make plans to attend a festival with the kids and then something comes up and we can’t make it. We end up going on the last day.
That’s kind of what happened with the Labor Day and Jazz Festival. We had planned on splitting our time between both festivals, but it didn’t turn out that way for us. (Here’s why) Lol!
ON SUNDAY, Travis and I took the kids to the Labor Day Festival, and then on Monday he and I went back to the festival for a date.
As we were walking to the festival, we spotted a mural painted in recognition of Cardinal Jozef Glemp’s visit to Hamtramck on September 23, 1985.
I’m not very familiar with the story behind the mural. I did, however, do a quick search and learn Dennis Orlowski is the artist of the piece.
THE KIDS TALKED ME INTO GETTING GLOW STICKS. OF COURSE.
Our time at the festival was a lot of fun. It was a great way to celebrate the end of summer. The kids enjoyed cotton candy, milkshakes, and pizza.
I even caved and bought them one of those light-up glow sticks. I bought the boys a shark one and Zhen wanted the unicorn one, of course.
MONDAY’S DATE NIGHT
The next evening, Travis and I headed back to Hamtramck for our date night. First, we ate at Dos Locos Tacos. I love the cute decor and vibrant colors.
Dos Locos Tacos opened in February 2018 and it’s located at 10337 Joseph Campau. It was the perfect spot for us to dine because the restaurant was right down the street from the festival.
YUMMY TACOS AT DOS LOCOS TACOS IN HAMTRAMCK
At Dos Locos Tacos, Travis had the steak burrito and I ate the steak tacos. I think Travis tried every single hot sauce, too. Lol! He said they weren’t that hot, but I saw him break out in a sweat. He can’t fool me! 😉
After dinner, we went back to the festival and enjoyed our time walking around and listening to the different music artists performing. (I’ll be honest– it felt just a little weird that we didn’t have the kids with us.)
I’m going to write a separate blog post about our visit to Dos Locos Tacos. I took A LOT of pictures at the festival and restaurant so I didn’t want to make this post too long. 🙂
WHAT WE MISSED AT THE HAMTRAMCK LABOR DAY FESTIVAL:
- Hamtramck Yacht Club Canoe Races
- Polish Day Parade
- (I also forgot my SD card for my Canon camera. Hope my cell photos came out okay!)
When we go to next year’s Labor Day Festival, I’ll make sure to catch these three events. Have you been to any of the Hamtramck Labor Day events?
SAYING GOODBYE TO SUMMER 2019
I’m going to miss the summertime. I love Autumn; it’s the winter that I hate! Okay, maybe hate is a strong word. I don’t particularly care for the winter, most especially Michigan winters.
It gets very cold here (remember the Polar Vortex 2019?) and winter lasts a long time here. It almost feels like it will never end.
When I lived in Tennessee, I remember Spring started promptly each April. Here? Oh no. It still snows in April in Michigan! LOL! That still blows my mind. So I’m not looking forward to the wintertime.
I do, however, love the snow. That’s the thing– I don’t like the long Michigan winters, but I love Michigan snow. Ha! If I could just have a month of winter with a few snow days sprinkled in, then I’d be good.
So long summer. Hello, Autumn Days!
MORE PHOTOS FROM OUR TIME AT HAMTRAMCK’S LABOR DAY FESTIVAL
SUBSCRIBE TO GOOD LIFE DETROIT
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- Meet TEDxDETROIT Labs’ Three Inspiring Women
- Celebrating Two Years of Breastfeeding My Toddler (Happy Black Breastfeeding Week!)
- “Wow, it’s really been years since I had a Girls Night Out!”
- Detroit Swag: Interview with Detroit Artist Judy Bowman
- How I Use My DFCUPerks App When I’m on the Go
All photographs are courtesy of Jennifer Hamra for Good Life Detroit.