Here’s a fun kids craft idea to do with your little ones on a rainy day: make a paper plate umbrella! Travis and I worked on this easy, DIY craft with the kids last week and they had a lot of fun creating it. You’ll notice in the pictures that the boys wanted to wear their Catboy costumes while making their umbrella craft. 🙂
Also, this craft for kids is also perfect for if you are working on a weather unit for homeschool or preschool studies!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy here.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- construction paper
- cotton balls
- paper plates
- non-toxic paint for kids
- kids’ non-toxic glue
- glue stick
- scissors (For little ones, they will need adult supervision when cutting paper and other material.)
UMBRELLA KIDS CRAFT DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut a paper plate in half. This will be for the umbrella. (Remember, for little ones, they will need adult supervision with the scissors.)
2. Using the glue, put glue on the back of the half plate and stick it to the construction paper. Make sure you leave a little room at the top of the paper for the cotton balls (clouds).
3. Cut and paste the handle for the umbrella. We used construction paper to make the handles.
4. Add the cotton balls to the top of the picture. For this part, I let my kids use a clothespin to hold the cotton ball and dip it in glue.
I poured a small amount of glue onto scrap material. You can also use a paper plate for the glue if you like.
5. Next, choose a color or colors for painting the umbrella paper plate. Encourage your child to get creative with it!
6. Last, use blue paint to add the raindrops onto the paper. The kids can also use the clothespin to add raindrops with a cotton ball.
And that’s it! As you can see, this kids’ craft idea is really easy to create and your kids will enjoy making their own umbrella creation.
SUBSCRIBE TO GOOD LIFE DETROIT
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- How to Love Siblings Equally
- Two Patriotic Wreaths for a Festive Door
- The Best Birthday Advice
- Funny and Heartwarming Things My Little Ones Have Said About My Pregnancy
- 10 Cute Animal Videos to Brighten Your Day
All photographs are courtesy of Jennifer Hamra for Good Life Detroit.