I don’t know who’s more excited about the Sesame Street Road Trip Tour— me or my kids. I grew up watching Sesame Street so the inner kid in me thinks this road trip event is just really cool.
Now that I’m a mom, I have passed on my love for the show to my children. All five of my kids are have watched Sesame Street since they were babies. My three little ones, especially, are going to love attending the Sesame Street Road Trip Tour!
As soon as I heard about the event, I sent in my RSVP for my whole family! The event is free, but you do have to register for it.
Click HERE to register for the Sesame Street 50th Anniversary Road Trip Tour!
So here are all of the deets you need to know:
View this post on Instagram
In honor of our 50th anniversary, we are excited to announce that everyone’s favorite furry friends are embarking on their first-ever nationwide road trip this summer! Our 10-city trip will include a free Sesame Street festival at each city with live performances and kid-friendly activities. Click the link in our bio for more. #ThisIsMyStreet
Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street, will celebrate the iconic program’s 50th anniversary with a visit to Detroit from June 20th to June 22nd, the organization announced today. As part of a nationwide road trip, Sesame Street will host a free family festival and stage show at Lafayette Park on Saturday, June 22nd.
With participation from community partners, celebrities, and elected officials, the visit will highlight the many ways Sesame Street—and the nonprofit organization behind it—helps kids in Detroit grow smarter, stronger, and kinder.
Sesame Street’s production crew will also travel to the area, filming a new segment for the show’s 50th season that will capture what local kids love about their communities — premiering in November on HBO. While in town, Sesame Street friends will visit local landmarks and community organizations across the city and celebrate with live performances and kid-friendly activities at the free festival.
“Sesame Street’s visit to Detroit reminds us that 50 years later, Sesame is still making a tremendous difference in the lives of children here in Detroit and across the world,” said Mayor Mike Duggan. “We’re very excited that the Muppets and friends will spend time in our city in late June.”
“This summer’s road trip and our visit to Detroit will demonstrate the power of media to engage and teach – something Sesame Workshop has focused on from the very beginning,” said Steve Youngwood, Sesame Workshop’s President of Media and Education and Chief Operating Officer. “As we celebrate our decades of impact and look ahead to the next 50 years, Sesame Street’s timeless lessons remain the same: Everyone, no matter who they are or where they are from, is equally deserving of respect, opportunity, and joy.”
During the family festival, the U.S Postal Service will issue a pane of Sesame Street Forever® stamps in recognition of the show’s 50th anniversary. Available nationwide, the stamps showcase 16 favorite Sesame Street Muppets including Big Bird, Elmo, Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch, Abby Cadabby, and more.
More details about the free festival will be released throughout the spring. To RSVP, please click here.
Fans and families can celebrate Sesame Street at community festivals in the following cities:
- New York, NY: Saturday, June 1st
- Washington, DC: Saturday, June 8th
- Pittsburgh, PA: Saturday, June 15th
- Detroit, MI: Saturday, June 22nd
- Chicago, IL: Saturday, June 29th
- Dallas, TX: Saturday, July 6th
- Kansas City, MO:Saturday, July 13th
- Denver, CO: Saturday, July 20th
- Seattle, WA: Saturday, July 27th
- Los Angeles, CA: Saturday, August 3rd
The Sesame Street road trip is made possible in part by PNC, presenting sponsor of the festivals in each city as part of PNC Grow Up Great®, a $500 million initiative to help prepare children from birth to age five for success in school and life.
PNC’s recent 15th-anniversary celebration of PNC Grow Up Great featured its long-term relationship with Sesame Workshop. This includes their most recent collaboration, Growing Together: Ready for School & Beyond, which provides free, bilingual resources to help children, parents and caregivers prepare young children to learn, grow and thrive in school.
Thanks to media partners HBO and PBS KIDS, and additional support from Waze, LACTAID® Milk, Beaches® Resorts, and Pampers®, the road trip’s public festivals will include Sesame Street-themed activities like a giant maze, a treasure dig, a cookies-and-milk snack station, and photo opportunities, plus chances to win a Caribbean family vacation from Beaches® Resorts.
For more information, please visit sesamestreet.org/anniversary.
Sesame Street’s 50th-anniversary celebration will also include:
- #ThisIsMyStreet, a celebrity and fan-fueled social media campaign that encourages everyone to share their favorite Sesame Street memories online.
- An expansion of the growing Sesame Street in Communities initiative to support vulnerable children and families, addressing issues like substance abuse and foster care.
- A signature research report that will explore an important issue facing kids and families today.
- The launch of a new local version of Sesame Street created for displaced Syrian families and their new neighbors in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria, as part of a large-scale early childhood intervention in the region.
- The 50th season of Sesame Street, kicking off in November with a star-studded primetime special that will include new takes on classic segments and visits from Sesame Street icons.
- New collaborations across fashion, lifestyle, and themed entertainment for Sesame Street fans of all ages.
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- New Midtown Restaurant Smith & Co. Grand Opening is Tomorrow!
- Hanging Out at the Detroit Youth Choir Watch Party
- Rick Ross on Living the American Dream and Not Fearing Death
- Dally in the Alley Family Style
Feature image courtesy of Sesame Street Workshop