The NAACP recently confirmed seven 2020 presidential candidates will be speaking at the NAACP 110th National Convention in Detroit.
- Cory Booker, United States Senator
- Julián Castro, Former U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- Kamala Harris, United States Senator
- Amy Klobuchar, United States Senator
- Beto O’Rourke, Former Member of the United States House of Representatives
- Bernie Sanders, United States Senator
- Elizabeth Warren, United States Senator
The presidential candidates are scheduled to speak on Wednesday, July 24th at 9:30 A.M. at the Cobo Hall in Downtown Detroit.
Candidates are expected to discuss important issues such as voting rights, immigration, criminal justice reform, student loan debt, the economy, and environmental justice.
“We must ensure we’re electing officials who will help us set policy priorities that will bring about positive change for communities of color,” said Derrick Johnson, NAACP President and CEO. “We remain committed to ensuring Black voters are heard and counted throughout this next election cycle. This presidential forum allows us to hear from the candidates as well as bring their attention to our most pressing concerns as a community.”
During a presidential election, the NAACP extends invitations to both Republican and Democratic nominees for president to speak at the annual July convention. Past speakers have included Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, President Barack Obama, Governor Mitt Romney, Senator John McCain, Senator John Kerry, President George W. Bush, Vice President Al Gore, and President Bill Clinton.
The NAACP Convention brings together over 10,000 activists, organizers, and leaders to set policies priorities for the coming year. Highlights for this year’s convention will include a CEO Roundtable, a legislative session, LGBTQ workshop, the awarding of the prestigious Spingarn Medal to Ambassador to Patrick Gaspard, and the signature NAACP Experience retail expo and diversity career fair.
You can get registration information, the convention schedule, and other details about the NAACP 110th National Convention here.
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- Counting Down the Days to the 37th Annual African World Festival!
- The Wright’s New Aboriginal Australian Art Exhibition Encourages Us to Connect to Our Roots
- 4 Things to Keep in Mind When Discussing Politics
- NAACP Convention Highlights (Plus, Meeting Shaun King and April Ryan!)
- White House Correspondent & Political Analyst April Ryan Will Moderate Presidential Candidates Forum at NAACP 110th National Convention