The 3rd Annual Detroit Kite Festival (DKF) is this weekend and my kids are SO excited to attend! Zhen, my 6-year-old daughter, has been asking me just about every day this week if today’s the day for the festival. She has a mermaid kite from last year that she plans to fly at the DKF this weekend.
The Detroit Kite Festival is a wonderful family event for children and the young-at-heart. It has become an accidental family tradition for us. My family and I have been to the first two festivals in July 2017 and July 2018. In fact, the first year of the kite festival I was super pregnant with Zephaniah!
I remember DKF 2017– the first year of the festival. I stumbled upon the event announcement on Facebook and I was really excited to discover a kite festival was being hosted on Belle Isle. Elijah, my oldest, had just finished reading the novel The Kite Runner so it was perfect timing.
Last year’s, kite festival fell on a very hot day. Thankfully, we were able to cool off in the community tents the DKF had set up. Once a nice breeze kicked in, we were able to fly our kites. Even little Zephaniah (our youngest child) had a kite to fly. Of course, we helped him with his kite since he was still crawling at the time.
The kite festival will take place Sunday, July 14, 10 A.M. to 5 P.M., next to the James Scott Memorial Fountain. The festival is free and open to the public.
DETROIT KITE FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Food Trucks: Motor City Franks, Mity Nice Italian Ice, Los Dos Amigos, Carolyn’s Kitchen, Sewa’s treats, Simply Spanish, Paradise Natural Foods, Lucky’s Mobile Food Emporium, Kabob Cart, Milkster Nitrogen Ice Cream
- Community Tents: The Children’s Center, Sierra Club, Yoganic Flow Yoga (11 A.M. only), Detroit People’s Food Cooperative, 826 Michigan (in the Book Nook), Cancer Go Fly a Kite
- Make-A-Kite Tent: Sponsored by the Detroit Institute of Arts, this is a fun opportunity for little ones to put on their thinking caps and try to make a kite! My kids really enjoyed this tent.
ALSO, CHECK OUT ON THE BLOG:
- Family, Ice Cream, Kites, Music, and Taco Trucks (A Few Summer Photos)
- The 3rd Annual Detroit Kite Festival is This Weekend!
- How I Used My DFCUPerks App to Save Money on Roadside Assistance
- Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital Creates New, Interactive Walking Path for Expectant Mothers
- Detroit Families Celebrate 50 Years of Sesame Street at Sold-Out Road Trip Tour