Hey, Detroit Tiger Fans! An exciting celebration is scheduled for early September in honor of the Tiger’s 1968 World Champions 50th Anniversary. The event is in partnership with the Detroit Tigers and Comerica Bank.
Here are the special events you can look forward to in September:
Friday, September 7 – Detroit Tigers vs. St. Louis Cardinals at 7:10 p.m.
- Members of the 1968 team will be honored at a private luncheon, presented by Comerica Bank.
- The first 10,000 fans attending the Tigers vs. Cardinals game at 7:10 p.m. will receive a pair of “Sockit to ‘em” socks, courtesy of Comerica Bank.
Saturday, September 8 – Detroit Tigers vs. St. Louis Cardinals at 6:10 p.m.
- Members of the Tigers 1968 World Champion team will be honored during a special pre-game on-field ceremony prior to the Tigers vs. Cardinals game at 6:10 p.m.
- The first 20,000 fans in attendance will receive a 1968 commemorative road jersey, courtesy of Comerica Bank.
Sunday, September 9 – Detroit Tigers vs. St. Louis Cardinals at 1:10 p.m.
- The Detroit Tigers will host a fan Q&A session on the concourse featuring members of the 1968 World Champion team. The fan Q&A will take place prior to the Tigers vs. Cardinals game at 1:10 p.m.
- The first 10,000 fans in attendance will receive a 1968 World Champions commemorative pennant, courtesy of Comerica Bank.
Other Special Events for the 50th Anniversary
Comerica Bank will host the Southwest Tiny Tigers Detroit PAL team at the game on Saturday, September 8. Team coach Ish Ledsma and his baseball team received an invitation to the game on behalf of Mr. Ritchie. What an exciting opportunity for the kids!
The Detroit Historical Society and the Detroit Institute of Arts will also hold special exhibitions paying tribute to the 1968 Tigers.
The Detroit Historical Society’s exhibit, The Year of the Tiger: 1968 World Champions 50th Anniversary Exhibition is running now through October 7, 2018, and will be held at the Detroit Historical Museum.
In concert with the 50th anniversary of the Detroit Tigers historic win, the Detroit Historical Society will debut The Year of the Tiger: 1968 exhibit. The exhibit weaves together stories about the players, the manager, the stadium and the events that paved a path toward a World Series victory and ultimately changed the mood and spirit of the city.
The exhibition at the Detroit Institute of Arts, Play Ball! Baseball is running now through September 17, 2018.
Take a step back in time and celebrate the great American pastime of baseball at Play Ball! Baseball at the DIA, featuring items from the Michigan-based E. Powell Miller collection and the Detroit Institute of Arts. This exhibition also commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Detroit Tigers1968 World Series victory with memorabilia, baseball cards and collectibles. Visitors will experience the extraordinary opportunity to view more than 500 baseball cards known as the “T206 White Border Set.” Miller’s collection of these vintage cards is noted for its rarity and superlative condition, and includes a Joe Doyle “error card” as well as the coveted and rare Honus Wagner card.
So mark your calendars now and save the date for this exciting Tiger’s event! The kids and I are looking forward to attending the Detroit Historical Society’s and the DIA’s Tigers’ baseball exhibition.
Hope to see you there!
Feature image courtesy Comerica Park/MLB.