Hope your week is going well so far, friends!
Today I am sharing my family’s fish taco recipe. If you’re celebrating Lent then this recipe will be perfect for your Meatless Fridays!
Travis and I first started making fish tacos around February 2016. We were observing Lent at the time and I wanted to find a seafood-based recipe to try. I had come across a fish taco recipe which called for codfish. I absolutely hated the way the cod tasted! I had even seasoned the cod and it still did not taste right to me.
So we decided to try a different type of fish for our taco recipe. We gave tilapia a try and we loved it! Even after lent was over we still continued to make fish tacos. Our homemade fish taco recipe has become a family favorite.
But, I’ll tell you the key to our fish taco recipe — it’s all in the sauce. Our homemade sauce is made with mayo, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, and lime. I’m telling you guys, it is absolutely delicious! The sauce truly enriches the tilapia fish taco. Without the sauce, in my opinion, the fish taco doesn’t taste very good.
As a side dish for the tilapia fish tacos, Travis made homemade sweet potato fries. He used our Farberware Deep Fryer to make the fries. (We got ours at Walmart for less than $50.)
Top your fish taco with a sliced pickle and voila! There you have it — fish tacos. I hope you enjoy the recipe. Be sure to let me know if you try it. I’d love to hear what you think of our recipe. Enjoy!
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 pack of tortillas
1 jar of sandwich pickle slices
1 bag of coleslaw mix
4 large sweet potatoes
canola oil (for the deep fryer)
cooking spray (for your pan)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of dill weed
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
Note: If you’re not really into spicy food, then use less cayenne pepper or none at all.
Cooking Tools You Will Need:
Directions for Tilapia Filets and Lime Sauce
1. Season each fillet with the lemon pepper and garlic seasoning. Make sure to season each side of the filet.
2. Put the seasoned tilapia filets to the side.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine mayo, plain yogurt, cayenne pepper, dill weed, cumin, and oregano.
4. Stir the mixture together.
5. Next, slice lime in half and squeeze each half into the sauce mixture.
6. Stir the mixture with the lime.
7. Spray your pan with cooking spray and then preheat stove to medium heat.
8. Once the pan is at the desired temperature, begin cooking your tilapia filets.
9. After you cook the tilapia, place a filet on a tortilla.
10. Put your coleslaw mix on top of the tilapia. Add the sandwich pickle slice and pour your desired amount of lime sauce on your tilapia.
11. Close the tortilla or roll the tortilla like a burrito. It’s up to you! We like to roll our fish tacos like a burrito.
12. Add sauce on to the side of your plate for dipping.
Directions for Sweet Potato Fries
1. Each deep fryer has different cooking instructions so make sure you read the instructions for how much cooking oil you will need for your deep fryer and the settings you need to put your fryer on for cooking.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes in either circular or rectangular shapes, one-sixteenth to a quarter of an inch. (It’s up to you!) Or if you want a perfect french fry shape you can get a french fry cutter to cut your fries.
3. Fry the sweet potatoes until they are a nice golden color and a little crispy. If you like your fries on the soft side, then take your fries out of the fryer a little earlier.
4. Remove the sweet potato fries from the basket and put in your desired serving bowl. Let the fries cool a little bit and then add just a little salt to your sweet potato fries if you like.